Summer LIFE Experience
Adults with intellectual and developmental differences can experience a sneak preview of living on their own through LIFE, Living Independently Finding Enrichment, a summer program for individuals 18 years or older. The Summer LIFE Experience provides adults the opportunity to test life away from home and for families to learn about the prospects of how their son or daughter might successfully transition into community-based living.
Summer LIFE Experience is located in Frassati Newman Hall, located on the University of North Florida campus. Participants enjoy the privacy and responsibility of their own bedroom in furnished 4 bed/2 bath apartments that are conveniently located near shopping centers, movie theatres, and recreation opportunities. Each apartment has a housing assistant to provide live-in guidance.
Summer LIFE Experience Program offers
- Social Emotional Skills: Participants learn about team-building, social etiquette, conversation skills, personal boundaries, expressing and identifying emotions, nonverbal communication and stress management.
- Leisure: Participants learn how to occupy free time, plan social events, enhance time management skills, explore interests, develop hobbies and explore the community.
- Daily Living Skills: Participants learn about cooking, chores, medication management, hygiene seminars, budgeting, sewing, safety/emergency training, how to do household repairs, transportation training and decision-making.
*Note: Participants needing personal care assistants and any other modifications should call for further information.
Summer LIFE 2021 Dates
- Session 1: June 6, 2021 – July 3, 2021
- Session 2: July 5, 2021 – July 31, 2021